Return license

Hi

After reading various information about the license we are still confused about how it’s working. Some documentation says the standard license is reserved for three days. Basically this means that if more than one person is using the equipment we need to setup a dedicated computer to the equipment! However, the manual says that is it possible to return a license at any time “To return a reserved license, select the license and then press the Return button.”. But nothing happens when we press return. Please explain and clarify how the license is working.

Regards
Jon

Hello Jon

We published a blog post detailing this a bit more yesterday. I hope this helps to lessen confusion. If it does not, please reply here and I’ll go into further details.

Regards
Christer Fletcher

Hello Christer

Thanks for quick reply. So the short answer is, if we have a premium license it can be returned but not for standard license, right?

Regards
Jon

Both standard and premium licenses which is attached to a user works the same. However, since the release of 1.5.0 you don’t have to care about standard license as long as you have an Otii Arc connected. As long as the Otii Arc is connected to the computer you will automatically have a standard license no matter what license is attached to your user.

If you want to use standard feature without an Otii Arc connected, you will have to have a user standard license reserved. This will happen automatically if the user only have one license and it’s available. It then gets reserved for a period of three days, after that it will automatically expire and come available again.

The Otii application will automatically renew the license when it starts and every hour after that. So if you start the Otii application now and then close it again, it will have reserved a standard license until Saturday if it was available. If you start Otii on Friday on the same computer, it will re-new the license and it will now be reserved until Monday next week. The same happens if you leave Otii running.

If you start Otii today on computer A and it reserves until Saturday but you then tomorrow want to use it on computer B tomorrow. You will then first have to start Otii on computer A and return the license from the Account -> Licenses menu. Then you can reserve it on computer B.

In your case with one standard license. I would suggest doing nothing at all, as it will work without any license reservation as long as you have the Arc connected. You can then move the Arc to any computer you like and it will work without signing in.

Going back to your original post: "But nothing happens when we press return."
The rightmost column in the License window should change from Reserved to Available when you press return. When it says available it’s possible to reserve again on this or an other computer.

Regards
Fletcher

Ok, I think I understand.

We was a little bit confused yesterday when my friend tried to use the Otii and the software says no license available. And on my side I don’t have a Return button in the License manager to release the license. “press return” in my case means I press Enter. When we tried today it works on both computers when Otii is connected so it seems to be ok now.

Regards
Jon

You have a very good point that the instructions might be unclear with the use of the word return when the Reserve button is active. We will take this under consideration and see if we change the Licence dialog to make it easier to understand.

Regards
Fletcher

In 1.5.2 software we released yesterday we have split the return/reserve button into two separate buttons. We hope that will prevent future misunderstandings. Thanks for the feedback Jon.

Thanks, that makes it much more clear.

Best Regards
Jon

That’s really cool, makes handling the license from multiple computers much simpler! :slight_smile: