Example project

Hi,

one thing the Saleae Logic analyzer does great is that you can install the software and, if you don’t have a logic connected, you can get simulated traces so that you can play around and get a feel for the software. IMO the Saleae USP is the really handy sw, and I’d love to play around with the qoitech desktop client to get a feel for it.

Can you consider adding such a feature? It could be as simple as just a couple of bundled, pre-recorded traces that I can choose from since you already support opening traces without having an Arc connected.

Thanks,

Hi Marcus,

This may very well be something that will be added in the future, in the meantime I’ll attach a sample project here which consists of two recordings.

3V-vs-2V.otii (8.2 MB)

Please let us know if there’s a specific use-case you’re interested in.

Thanks a lot! I guess that those are two measurements of the same device on 2V vs 3V Vcc, comparing how the current consumption depends on supply voltage? Very nice example, gave me plenty of things to try out, and cool to see how the DUT has a not-so-slight drift between measurements. I guess 2Hz wake-up ticks from internal RC-oscillator?

I really like how the viewer is very simple to use already from start, and it’s easy to figure out how to do things, and where to find things.

A little feedback and suggestions, which I hope you are open to:

• A simple(-r) way to offset one plot against another.
    primarily use dragging (eg hold ctrl and drag to fine-tweak one plot against another). Changing the offset number box works but is much slower, and harder to go back and forth.

• Horizontal bars that move with the mouse cursor.
    Here, the inspiration is how markers work in Saleae Logic - press 1 (or 2, or…) to get a vertical marker that can be placed. Great for quickly checking two points against another. For otii, I guess a horizontal marker makes more sense since you want might to see if one out of a series of bumps is different.

• Placing markers
    press eg a number to position a marker at a position. I think both horizontal and vertical markers are useful.

• A keyboard shortcut to temporarily drag position.
    Use case: when in “selecting” mode but want to move slightly to the side, it would be better to eg ctrl+drag than to change tool to drag, drag, change to select, and then repeat for every time. Many pdf viewers or EDAs use holding the mouse middle click to drag.

• Perhaps grid could use slightly stronger lines on nice numbers, eg multiples of 5 or 10?

Food for thought.

My use case is a small radio SOC (CC1310/1350/2650) that mostly sleeps, then wakes up to performs tasks, and sometimes transmits. 6lowpan, meshing.

Thanks! We are very much open to feedback!

The two recordings were as you guessed from the same BLE beacon booting at 2 and 3 Volts. I also found it very interesting to see the drift, despite the fact that the board actually has a 32kHz XTAL that supposedly should take care of that. Luckily it’s not a problem I actually have to solve, but the drift is very obvious when using the Otii solution!

The plot offset is on our list of things to improve, we feel the same way.

The markers/bars ideas have been discussed and they’re definitely something to put on the list. As long as it’s not something that’s immediately visible which might overwhelm a first-time user (as a logic analyzer definitely can do).

I like to use the keyboard shortcuts ‘d’ for drag, ‘s’ for selection to perform the operation you mention, but a dedicated modifier key is a good thing! It’s a bit difficult getting a coherent experience across platforms when modifiers are used. Our ALT+scroll wheel for vertical zoom was one of those compromises.

The use-case you mention is definitely something that would work very well with Otii, especially if you have a logic-level UART log output from your device that will then be timestamped together with the power consumption traces.

Thanks!

I don’t mean to derail the thread into a generic feedback-thread or such, and if you have some other mean to do this, feel free to redirect me.

Got my Arc a couple of hours ago, and yes, it worked perfectly for my use case. I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be able to pick up the small CPU wakeups we do when the device is in deep sleep steady state, but no problem there. While I’ve previously used an oscilloscope over a shunt resistor to do this, with the arc it I get a larger dynamic range, very long sample duration, and a great UI (though rough around the edges, but already very much an improvement to me) to explore the trace. Safe to say, I’m very happy already and excited to use it. (if this sounds like a fake grass-root review to anyone or so, feel free to PM me and I’ll prove otherwise, just a happy customer. In fact, I’d probably take the opportunity to talk a little about what we are selling :wink: ).

Oh, one thing I just remembered - it would be really great to be able to leave annotations in a saved project. Both like a note that accompanies the file itself, but also being able to put like bookmark-markers in the trace. That way, you could eg describe the test setup in the note, then add markers like “began TLS to backend” at 1.2s, “failed ABC” at 2.5s, etc. Makes it so much easier to convey what you are seeing when you send a saved trace to someone else.

Hello

Happy to hear that you like our product!

Your last paragraph is also something we already discussed internally. It’s something we definitely want to add so it’s on the list.

It would be great to see an example project that also shows voltage readings

Here’s a project of Arduino blinking a led.

In addition to the Main Current & Main voltage as you requested. There’s also ADC voltage which is connected the control pin for the LED (GPIO output from Arduino). There’s also log prints from the Arduino, connected form the UART Tx pin on the Arduino to the Rx pin on Otii Arc.

Hope it helps…

ArduinoBlink_UART_ADC.otii (438.5 KB)

In 2.3.0 software released today you can right-click a recording and select to offset it by the selection. Check blog post for details.